Saturday 22 June 2013

Melancholy Baby (Sunny Randall, #4)Melancholy Baby by Robert B. Parker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sunny Randall is no Kinsey Millhone, but thankfully she is no Crodellia Gray either. So, even thought she might not get herself a permanent place in the female Fictional Gumshoe Hall of Fame, but she would definitely not earn a place for all the wrong reasons, like some of her counterparts.

Melacncholy Baby by Robert B. Parker, featuring Sunny Randall, a private detective, starts when she is approached by a girl, who wants to find her biological parents. The girl, Sarah Markham, is convinced that the couple, who had raised her, was not her bio-parents, and that she was adopted.

The book was short, and the plot, not being too complicated or over the top, was tight. Left on its own the plot accounts for 70% of the total pages in the book. The other 30% belonged to Sunny’s personal problems. Her divorce and its aftermath, and her decision of taking help of a psychiatrist. Though not related to the main plot, these pages gelled nicely with the investigation and eventually added more credibility to the character of Sunny Randall.

Though not as famous as Parker’s other creation, the Spenser novels, this book evolved as a fast and uncomplicated read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment