Thursday 9 May 2013

Death and the Joyful Woman (Felse, #2)Death and the Joyful Woman by Ellis Peters
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was the second instalment of the George Felse series written by Ellis Peters. Peters is known and appreciated all over the world for her medieval mysteries featuring Brother Cadfael. So, when I realised that she had also written another series featuring Inspector George Felse, I immediately picked up the book and started reading it.

The plot can be summed up in a single line. A wealthy man, not liked by much of the village, gets murdered and everybody who were somehow related to him, personally or professionally, becomes a suspect. And this single line plot was my favourite, as I am a huge fan of Golden Age Mysteries, where murders are committed and the suspect is found in from a closed pool of suspects.

Inspector George Felse is a typical English gentleman detective. I admired this man. Though overshadowed by Cadfael in terms of popularity, Felse comes around as a normal human being for whom crime solving is just a part of the job. In a way George Felse and his family reminded me of another British detective, Ruth Rendell’s Inspector Wexford.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves reading simple whodunits, without much blood and gore.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment